Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mexico continues to rock.

Hello friends! So, so sorry I haven't updated my blog in about a million years. This semester has turned out to be a lot busier than I originally thought.

Well, I don't really know where to start. This week (since Wednesday morning) I've been with my host family, and it has been so incredible! I absolutely love this family, and I am so sad that I can't stay with them for the whole semester. Maybe I could start by describing the members of my host family.

Let's begin with Mama Lupita- She is so wonderful, kind, giving, and I swear on a stack of bibles she is trying to make me fat. Haha. Every thirty seconds or so, she offers me something to eat or drink. "Quieres huevito, hija?" "quieres jugito, hija?" Haha. I love her so much, and I feel like she really tries to include me in her family.

Paulo is my host brother, and he's great, too. He includes me in all of the things that he does, like when he goes out with his friends. I appreciate that he always makes me feel welcome. Also, I love how much he loves his family and is a gentleman. For example, he always opens the car door for his mother and kisses her goodbye on the cheek when he leaves to go somewhere. It's really cute, and I wish americans did that more. I feel like chivalry is often lost in the hustle and bustle of the American lifestyle.

Sami (short for Samia) is my host sister. She's so wonderful and friendly. Tonight, she took me out with her friends to "ming", which is a bar in Cholula. She is absolutely hilarious, and I've recently discovered that we have a lot in common. (Who would have thought that I could find so many things in common with a person who speaks an entirely different language!!) I am so glad I have her as a host sister!

Gabriel, the host dad, isn't here a whole lot. From the times I've gotten to spend with him, he seems nice and has a sarcastic sense of humor. He likes to tease me a lot, but I don't really get the jokes all the time because they're in spanish. Haha.

Well, that's all the members of my host family. It's so nice to have a sense of family in a world so far away from home!

So far mexico has been a really incredible experience. It's so different from the US in the sense that everyone is just so chill. The pace is much slower and more relaxed, and it seems like people take a little more time to enjoy life. However, this easygoing lifestyle can sometimes make the times when you need to get stuff done a little more difficult. I have also discovered several similarities between mexico and our lovely country. My favorite, and most recent, discovery is that girls all over the world LOVE to dance. Last night when I was out with Sami, a group of us girls ended up dancing in the classic "girl circle" with each other. I honestly felt right at home.

Speaking of last night, I have a hilarious story to share with my avid readers. Well, as you know I went out with Sami to Ming for the cumpleaños of her friend. At first it was a little difficult and awkward because I couldn't hear anyone and my spanish is always worse when I'm nervous. Then, out of nowhere, this random guy comes up and starts talking to me. He was very forward and flirty, but I thought, "what the hell, maybe I can at least practice my spanish." So I got two free drinks out of it (don't worry mom, I went with him to the bar to get them to make sure nothing was put in them) and about an hour's worth of good spanish-socializing practice. But then, (here's the good part) I think he decided that after an hour of small talk it was time to lay on the moves. So what does he do? He buys me a rose (there are rose vendors in all of the bars who walk around and sell flowers to people like this guy who want to lay it on smooth to their current pick-up) and tells me that my moon is beautiful. That's right people, you heard me. My "moon." I kind of stand there and stare at him for a couple of seconds, trying to figure out what in the WORLD he could mean by telling me I have a pretty moon. Then it hits me: the spanish word for "birthmark" is "lunar", which is very close to "luna", which means "moon." Apparently he was complementing the birthmark on my face... that's a first. After that I excused myself to the bathroom and tactfully avoided him for the remaining 15 minutes that we were there.

Anyways... what else is new? School this semester has been a little bit more work than I thought it would be . All of the students who came here last year said it would be a breeze, that I wouldn't have to do homework very much at all. I think they lied. Some of my classes have been very difficult, especially because they are in Spanish. Overall, however, they are not nearly as difficult as the classes at Notre Dame. I dread going back there and working my butt off every day without rest and getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep every night. Notre Dame academics are, to say the very least... competitive. But at the same time, I can't wait to get back to my family and friends in the states. I miss them all a lot.

I am currently sitting in Mama Lupita's kitchen as she makes me something delicious-smelling for lunch. She is also sending me home with food in little tupperwear containers. I don't usually like leftovers, but I can't WAIT to eat her delicious mexican food. I wholeheartedly believe that Mexican food is the best type of food in the world not counting everything my mom makes.

Alright, well I think I'm going to do some studying for my test tomorrow in Psychology and Gender. Sorry there are no pictures in this one; I am having trouble getting the picture uploader to work. I will write another post soon and include descriptions and pictures of our most recent adventures.

Paz y amor, mis amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment